How to Install Laminate Flooring
Tools and Material – Required for Laminate Flooring Installation.
- Laminate Flooring
- Tapping Block
- Vapor Barrier
- Hammer & Tape Measure
- Jig Saw
- Mitre Saw
- Pull Bar & Spacers
Few thing which should be consider before installation of flooring
Laminate Flooring – Just to be on a safer side one should get at least 10% extra Laminate flooring. It’s better to have too much than not enough.
Underlayment – Using an underlayment between the laminate panels and sub-floor provides better comfort while you walk on floor. Also, the grip formed by using an underlayment will ensure that it keeps hold the laminate after completion of installation.
Vapor Barrier – In case of installation is directly going to be on concrete floor, some sort of vapour barrier must be applied, to prevent the flooring from regular moisture, humidity. This layer will be good enough to prevent the laminate flooring from the penetration of moisture into the flooring.
Acclimate your Laminate Floor Panel – Let your Laminate panels adjust with the temperature of room by leaving the boxes at least for 72 hours in the same room unopened.
Manufacturer Instructions – Read the instructions properly marked by the manufacturer on boxes before starting the installation.
Step 1 – Prepare the Base floor / Subfloor
Make sure the surface is properly clean, flat and solid, So before starting the installation folloring factors needs to be consider:
- If there is any flooring exist, remove the old flooring.
- Remove all mouldings
- Clean the floor completely with the help of vaccum cleaner and pick any type of debris which is left.
- Now the most important part is to make sure floor is level with the help of straight edge.
“A good sub-floor should not have height difference of more than ¼” within a span of 10 foot. If the floor needs some civil work to be done to make the surface compatible for installation, you should consider doing that as well”.
Step 2 – Adjustment of Door Jamb
Trimming needs to be done under the door jamb so flooring can go beneath. In case if old flooring was removed then there must be space under door jamb for the new flooring. And if jamb needs to be cut and clear use the saw to make a space neatly for laminate.
- A piece of laminate against the door jamb requires buffing properly so one can insert the flooring below jamb.
- Mark a line on top of laminate where door jamb meets. This is basically the cut mark.
- Now cut the door jamb and trim away while adjoining the laminate.
Step 3 – Plan your Layout for Laminate Flooring Installation
Open the boxes of laminate and check for the product defects like chipping or any type of cracks.
- Now the cut the tongue of the plank carefully using jigsaw those are going to install alongside of starting wall.
- Make sure a gap we are going to keep for expansion should be covered with spacer along the wall, now start placing the floor panels with the flat side inserted under either a spacer or a skirting while the groove on the side should face room.
- A good practise is to install the first starter row from left to right.
Step 4 – Position the first two rows of flooring panel
One should connect the floor panel in according to the sequence shown below.
- Use a slight angle to make it easy to insert the tongue of panel 2 into the groove of panel 1 until they fit together like one put together the pieces of puzzle.
- Now, place the Panel 2 after inserting in Panel 1 over the sub-floor so they can be locked in place.
- Keep placing your board from left to right.
Step 5 – Place rest of the Laminate Flooring Panel
Keep placing the laminate flooring panels from left to right by the time whole sub-floor is covered. Continue to place your boards from left to right: repeat this process until your sub-floor is covered.
- To keep your floor stable while installation, make sure to stagger the panel when you place the panel.
- The seams in adjacent rows of flooring panel should not be lesser than 6 inches. In fact we recommend stagger of atleast 12” between seams for added stability.
- Keep minimum 8 inches of length for the end boards.
- To make sure the tongue and grove are locked properly, you should use a knock block to fit them perfectly into place.
“Make sure to use knock block above the tongue, not against the tongue, else the panel will be crushed”.
Step 6 – Fitting the Edge Pieces after trimming them
After placing the complete floor panel on sub-floor, when you come to install the end piece, measure the distance between the second last panel and wall, and mark the same size on flooring panel with pencil to cut as per the rest of balance space to cover.
You should use a pull bar to fit this end panel for a tight and perfect fitting.
“While cutting the panel as per the size, you should keep the laminate face down and cut using a fine-toothed circular blade of a cutter”.
Step 7 – Method to install last row of flooring
- You should measure the rest of the space – width left for last row and calculate the actual after subtracting the manufacturer recommended expansion gap from the total width.
- Now mark the width on laminate flooring panel without considering the tongue lengthwise; along with the groove edge.
- Now use a pull bar to fit and lock these last row panels.
Step 8 – Installation of Threshold and Transition Pieces
Measure the Threshold Laminate Flooring Pieces and Mark them.
After trimming the jamb of door for a proper clearance, now you should mark the piece of panel as per the measurement going under the threshold. Just in case the panel is going parallel to the door, most probably you have to trim only one piece of panel.
Cut the Floor Panel
After having a exact outer measurement of jamb, which is marked over the laminate, cut the laminate nicely with the help of cutter or jigsaw so you get a perfect finish. Now cut and fit the laminate properly under the gap of jamb.
Again, you should keep the finished panel or face of laminate while cutting according to your measured size to retain the finishing.
STEP 9 – The final touch
- After placing the entire floor panel to cover sub-floor, it’s time to give a final finish to your task. Make sure to:
- The spacers placed between end panel and wall, take them out.
- Any underlayment which is still coming out trim them as well.
- Silicon sealant should be applied if the room is more humid and sees significant changes in temperature.
Well you have successfully installed the Laminate Flooring as per the above steps.
Click here for information about Wooden Flooring in Gurgaon and Wooden Flooring in Delhi or Contact us here